Tuesday 19 September 2017

An Anatomy of an Image - Step by Step Evolutionary Progress: From the Innocent to the Decidedly Less So

 The interesting thing is, this dress was never - in so far as I know - intended for nursing and as part of a nurse's uniform.  It was a Bri-nylon style which appeared in the Alexandra Overall (later Alexandra Workwear) ( please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)  All of which begs the question; What was going on in the original image?
 So - someone sent it me and asked me to colourise it for him (perhaps surprisingly I've never done that before, so had to work out my own techniques as I went along) and green is what he wanted (so green is what he got!)
 So then I tried to improve things a bit, trying to recapture that bri-nylon sheen that the original monochrome had (and also changed the pyjamas to blue - dunno why, coz they're always green striped in the stuff I've been writing of late).


Since it was a doddle, having got this far to change the colour of the dress I thought you'd like to see how it would have appeared in the Alexandra catalogue (or as close to the original shade of blue I could get - there's a little bit of artistic licence at work here: the original was a darker shade but would not have shown up well here).  I think other 'colour ways' would have been available (I'd imagine) but I've only ever seen blue - I'll try to find an original catalogue pic at some point to show you

And then I got carried away.. .off in my own little world. Now I've given her a brand new face (to protect the innocent from the ravages of my dodgy imagination) and posed her in a computer-generated background which was created by Angela Fox some years back (2010, for this set) for an illustrated version of my INSTITUTIONALISED 3 work (which I still hope to get completed) although it works well with the present written project I am working on.
And finally... Well, you get the idea!  See you again soon folks!  PS: 'Green Wellies': I've not abandoned that project I started back at the end of 2014 (with a bit of input from 'Das Flute') - I is mostly written but needs refinement and editing and stuff, but now that I'm a bit more sorted out I'm revisiting it on a near daily basis with the intention of getting something out before the Weatherspoons (a chain of cheap - ish pubs here in the UK) Autumn beer festival starts (October 11th - but I wont get involved to around half way through, perhaps the 16th)... See yo later, peeps!

2 comments:

Das Flute said...

Very glad to hear the book will hopefully be out by next month - I'll be first in the digital line to buy a copy!

Toyntanen said...

Hi there Das Flut! Hey, do you think you'll ever be passing through London again? Anyway, yeah I keep returning to those ideas we discused - and have written tons around the concept - but the problems always been the same; edditing and getting it to run in a logical order while stiil catching the reader's interest early on enough. Anyway, I'm pretty determined to get it out (or something out)in some form or other.