Thursday 3 August 2023

A Response To A Comment

 Today's post has absolutly nothing to do with the storyline / theme which has been runing through my last few posts but rather it harks back to my INSTITUTIONALISED book series and was created a few years back with the idea of either creating a new rewritten and illustrated version or a stand alone collection of images. My reason for sharing it with you today is as a response to a comment in which the question was posed as to whether it might be that in some small discrete but secure psychiatric institution or 'care home' the 'patients' might be put in to some sort of uniform...It might not officialy be refered to as a 'uniform' but in all actuality it would be. SO...Here is my answer.


Looking at it now I'm not all that sure I like it or that it all that great. I might revisit the theme at some point if I can come up with something suitable. I certainly think that if there is any sort of group  'occupational therapy' then some sort of work dress would be issued and would definitely constitute a uniform.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...


Hmm, I agree that the dress in the picture isn’t that good. Something flimsier and capable of giving easy access to the patient’s parts for disciplinary or toilet purposes would seem appropriate. I like the humiliating plastic bib - there will be lots of dribble from that ball gag.

Toyntanen said...

There's always going to be times when they're in disposable paper examination gowns but I imagine identical very plain, in terms of styling, drab striped, ankle length nightgowns made in heavyweight flannel buttoning down the front and with long sleaves and stiff buttoned cuffs

Anonymous said...

I think it's lovely! Keep up the good work!

Roberta

Anonymous said...

Thinking about it, I absolutely think striped dresses would be very appropriate. It may also be appropriate to add distinctive collars and cuffs in starched white fabric. While these may be a little uncomfortable, it helps distinguish the residents, particularly if they are being taken somewhere public for any reason.

One suggestion I have that goes well with collared dresses is to provide the ladies with a decorative ribbon to wear with her collar. The colour of the ribbon would vary depending on the progress she has made in understanding and complying with the rules of the institution. Progress might also be rewarded with small privileges such as access to newspapers (heavily censored of course) and afternoon tea and cake with the nursing staff.

This provides an effective way in which the nurses can reward good behaviour and provide constructive feedback for the opposite - all she has to do is produce the appropriate coloured ribbon and bind the resident with it to make the position very clear!

Roberta