Friday 24 June 2016

The Illustrated Instituion - And Other Tales


I don't have much time to say a lot at the moment but here’s one to whet your appetite taken from my ‘Illustrated Institution‘ project, which is exactly what it says on the label; basically an illustrated, simplified and abridged version of my much acclaimed INSTITUTIONALISED series.   

You’ll have seen an early version of this before but I’ve done a lot more work on it since.  In particular it has taken an age to get the faces right.  Each is an amalgam made up from elements of several different faces to create new characters who never existed before, if you see what I mean.   

Quite a lot of the other artwork will be based elements taken from the work of Angela Fox, similarly modified, and some elements will be coming from work I did for and with Roger Benson (though the later may appear in a separate book - we’ll see!). 

This present offering MAY become the basis of the cover (minus the speech and the think bubble of course) depending on the feedback I receive; so let me know what you think; don’t be shy!

I have several written projects in the pipeline at the moment, including 'An Ordinary House'  - with which I am struggling with dialogue issues and which may end up with a different tittle - and 'Red Letter Days' - which at one time I was calling 'Hostage of Discipline' and which is a real complex thing that I started while on holiday back in 2014.  

This latter tale has been more or less NEARLY in a publishable state for ages, and at present contains several of the themes and ideas which I originally started exploring in 'An Ordinary House', the trouble is I having been struggling to create an opening for it (I have about five part-written capremise of the story - and I want to avoid that non-linear storytelling style I've used before, hopping back and forth through time and between different geographical locations - but at the same time I want to be able to make clear early on to the reader both the kind of thing which awaits them further down the line while also making clear this is going to be anything but the standard D/S corporal punishment fare they might be expecting.  It's actually quite a difficult balance to achieve it turns out.
ndidates).  I want to spend time to develop the characters and locations and the

Anyway, I'll tell you more next time, but for now suffice it to say my aim is to get some part of this one out by my birthday - which incidentally is Saturday July 16th (I plan to be in Brighton either that weekend or the weekend after, so come meet me for a drink if you can!) 

PS:  I've also been doing a bit more work on the SelectaCorp game project (see last entry), coming up with ideas and stuff which I hope has been useful - hopefully I'll have more to say on that too next time.

Bye for now.

Garth

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear things are in development and some are close to fruition.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to Saturday July 16 and your publication.

Toyntanen said...

It doesn't look like being finished on time now, as I'm still struggling with editing and settling on how to open the story, but I'll keep you up to date here on this blog

Anonymous said...

Ok thanks for the update